Netflix happens to be home to some of the most relevant and high-impact documentaries, that have been made in recent months. Beside delivering a raw, unfiltered message, these documentaries also rarely miss their mark and they are bound to stay with you long after the credits roll. For all the fans of documentaries out there (as well as the recent converts and non-fans), we have assorted a list of 10 of the best documentaries you need to watch on Netflix USA. Enjoy!
1) Jesus Camp – Delve right into the daily ongoings of a controversial Evangelical Christian summer camp, organized by Becky Fisher. The documentary follows a group of children and their families as they spend their days at the camp learning about abortion and condemning them. They also talk about other controversial practices and Christian teachings, amidst Zion-themed dance routine performances that are fascinating to say the least.
2) Girl Rising – It is about how education is changing the lives of girls all over the world. A thorough investigation reveals all the aspects of the impact that getting educated has had on these girls. Prepare to be amazed and fall in love with each of these girls, all the while admiring their hard work and zeal towards becoming successful.
3) Hot Girls Wanted – It has been a pretty firm favorite with festival goers this year, and not without solid reasons. Hot Girls Wanted is a harsh reality check into the most misunderstood and glamorized industry that is porn. The entire documentary is told through the eyes of young wannabes who have to fight for survival and relevance in a market which is known for high turnover rates.
4) Virunga – Although this was made in 2014, Virunga is one documentary that has managed to stay among the top documentaries for this year. It is shot entirely in the Virunga National Park in East Congo, and focuses on the daily struggle between the park rangers and a host of enemies including poachers, oil company mafia and an Islamic revolutionary army. With superb editing and an emotional telling of the bond between the endangered gorillas and their caretakers, the Virunga is a documentary worthy of multiple views.
5) Mortified Nation – Watch this unique and funny documentary, where volunteers read “mortifying” entries from their journals written during the teenage years. With a mix of embarrassment and fun and misery, the entire documentary is pretty enjoyable to watch!
6) Dear Zachary : A Letter to A Son About His Father – One of the most heart-touching and emotional films on this list. Dear Zachary shows just how powerful love can be, through a most loving documentary. It is bound to touch your heart, and change you for good. Watch the story of a bond between a young boy and his father and rejoice that such kind of love still exists in this world.
7) The Imposter – A mysterious French man shows up at the door of Texan family, claiming himself to be the son who had gone missing three years earlier. The whole story unfolds like an unbelievable dream, and ends up having more twists and turns than you can imagine. Only because you know that it is a documentary that you can believe all this actually happened in this world. Definitely needs to be watched.
8) The Dark Matter of Love – Witness the struggles that a Wisconsin family has to undergo, after they adopt three orphans from Russia. A unique and very personal foray into their lives reveals the outstanding achievement of this family, as they manage to cope with the increased load. The USP? It is never disappointing. A must watch for everyone who wants to know about or is thinking about adoption.
9) Little Hope Was Arson – It tells of the incident where 10 churches were burnt in a month, in east Texas. Watch as the documentary reveals the truth behind this devastating crime, while going deep in the lives of the local residents in a thorough no-stops-pulled investigation.
10) Somm – This delightful documentary is made for every wine lover out there. Watch just how much hard work and effort goes into the preparation of wines and towards becoming a Master Sommelier. Prepare to be blown away by the finesse and skill exhibited by four people, as they prepare for the upcoming Master Sommelier exam.
So there you are. A gem from every genre has been named for your watch list. We strongly suggest that you give these documentaries a dekko. You will not be disappointed!